A flooring option that looks luxurious while being tough and easy on your wallet at the same time. Does such a thing actually exist?
Well, yes it does in the form of luxury vinyl plank flooring. And the good news is that it’s not just a single option but several.
So you can choose from their options depending on whether you like natural stone or hardwood.
What is Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Luxury vinyl plank flooring offers excellent flooring options that are both high quality and affordable.
These are engineered floor systems that rely on several layers of materials to create a surface that’s durable, solid, and moisture-resistant.
Using luxury vinyl plank flooring is the best alternative to more expensive building materials such as hardwood and natural stone. They’re almost identical to the real materials while being much less expensive.
They look great and only require mopping and sweeping for maintenance. Surely, a sound investment for any home.
The Different Types of Vinyl Plank Flooring
These are the options that homeowners can choose from:
- Wood Look Vinyl Planks – Look exactly like wooden floors. The colors, grains, and textures and just like natural wood.
- Stone Look Vinyl Planks – Looks exactly like stone floors. Very durable and waterproof.
Installation Process for Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
The following is the process for installing luxury vinyl plank flooring. It’s one of the simplest floorings to install. If a homeowner is a D-I-Y type of guy, then it should be a simple matter to install this flooring.
Flat pry bar
¼ inch spacers
Vinyl plank flooring
- 1. Plan the layout of the flooring first. This is achieved by working from the wall which is the most visible and then working towards the entryway to the room. The planks will be laid parallel to this most visible wall.
- 2. Remove the trim and other moldings that have any contact with the floor. This will make the installation much easier. These include door case moldings, baseboards, and base shoe moldings.
- 3. Prepare the floor for the laying of the vinyl planks. You can lay the plank over any existing flooring. Any high spots need to be sanded down to create a level surface for the planks.
- 4. Test fit the initial row of luxury vinyl planks. The flooring will look best if the cut planks at the ends are of equal length.
- 5. Cut the vinyl planks to size. It is the same as to how you would cut drywall panels. Use a utility knife or a fine-tooth saw to cut through the length of the plank.
- 6. Connect the vinyl flooring planks together. Luxury vinyl planks are attached edge-to-edge and end-to-end with a tongue-and-groove system.
- 7. Cut away for obstacles. When encountering obstacles such as door frames, it’s easy to snip to the required shape.
- 8. Fit the vinyl planks around the obstacles. Luxury vinyl plank flooring is flexible so it’s easy to fit it around any obstacle.
- 9. Cut and fit the last of the planks. Reinstall the moldings to finish the process of installing luxury vinyl plank flooring.